The fuel cell is designed in a way so that it can work as backup power for various industries or for houses.
FREMONT, CA: The stationary applications use fuel cells to utilize the backup power, combined heat and power (CHP), and primary power. The stationary fuel cells can also be used for a wide range of services, like powering a business center to a single-family home. They can also be applied to different markets like data centers, telecommunications, retail, residential, and many more.
The fuel cells that are used for stationary applications are different from those of the automotive and portable ones while choosing fuel cells, fuel, and heating and heating of the stacks. However, for emergency reasons, there is backup power that has been implemented by developing stationary fuel cell power and almost 7,600 fuel cells. Presently, in various countries, several states utilize fuel cells as backup power systems as their power backup. Here are some of the examples of the areas where fuel cell power backup is used.
• In many states, there are telecommunications towers that operate for several hours at a stretch, particularly after a disaster occurs. These towers get their electricity from the fuel cell power backup kept for emergencies.
• There are also places where they keep almost 200 kW of the fuel cell in the area so that they can use it in an emergency. These backup powers can be used if there is a massive blackout in the area.
• Many gas and electric sites have also implemented fuel cells and have established the technical and economic viability by applying 1 kW to 10 kW polymer electrolyte membrane (PEM) fuel cells. These on-site fuel storage can offer power backup for the utility networks and cell phone towers.
There are also various applications where stationary fuel cells can be utilized. Some of them are given below.
• The stationary fuel cell can offer supplemental power
• Whenever the grid is down they can provide backup or energy power generator
• The fuel cell can even compete with the grid and can be used in areas where the grid cannot reach
• The system can also be used in cases of hybrid power systems that have batteries, wind turbines, photovoltaics, or capacitors and provide secondary or primary power.